Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Computer stuff

Most of you know that I am a mechanic, but I tinker with computers as a hobby on the side. Sometimes I help repair other people's machines, and I have come across a few tips I have found helpful.

Use antivirus software, and make sure it is set to update. Mcafee, Norton, and AVG have been the go to programs for years, but microsoft is offering their own now, and it is free as long as your copy of windows isn't pirated.

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

If your machine is infected with malware and spyware, sometimes run of the mill software can't remove it. There are specialized tools for removing it. The one that I use the most is combofix. If you run it, be sure to back up your files first, and turn off your antivirus software. (most antivirus suites see it as a rootkit)

http://combofix.org/

there is also a Microsoft Malware removal tool, but I do not have any experience with it.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.aspx

Something else you can do to improve windows performance is to leave automatic updates on. Yes it is a hassle when your machine reboots itself, but it does it out of necessity.

Be sure to run disk cleanup and disk defragment periodically. It will free up space and improve hard drive performance. If you need help learning how to do it, just search google, and you will be directed to microsoft's web help site.

Lastly, be sure to back up your files. It is easy enough to reformat your machine if something catastrophic happens, but recovering data is not so easy. Photos and music are tough to get back once they are gone. (expensive itunes library, anyone?)
There are automatic tools in windows for setting up backups.

Sorry for the novel.

No comments: