Thursday, June 10, 2010

Cool Crayons

I remember seeing my sister in law do this once and I thought it was awesome. I took all of Beck's crayons that were broken and I removed the wrappers. Yeah, that's more irritating than it sounds. Then I put some parchment paper in my cupcake sheet. I don't know if that's a necessary step and it made the edges rougher than I'd like, but I didn't want to risk it sticking to my pan. Then I put little pieces of crayon into the pan. It looks like this:



I had preheated my oven to about 375 and I stuck in the pan and sat and watched them melt. It took about 4 minutes. As soon as they were melted I took them out to cool and almost puked from the smell. I might have cooked them too high or it might just be that I'm pregnant. Did I mention that she did this project a LONG time ago. I can't be expected to remember all the details of the project! When it came out it looked something like this:



I immediately left the kitchen because I thought I might die from the smell. I let them cool and when they finished setting they looked like this:



See what I mean about the jagged edges? It'd probably look better if I didn't use the parchment paper. Don't judge me, it was an experiment. The awesome result are these cool color chips that have lots of fun colors! Beck loves them because he's a big color mixer anyway. I think it looks pretty cool when you color with them.

So there you have it. My very own do-it-yourself project. I feel like such a mom. Oh and for the record, I miss you all on facebook so be sure you comment something!

9 comments:

Benjamin.Weaver01 said...

facebook is gay. and for pedos.

Wendy said...

Wow, I didn't know you were pregnant! Congrats! I've been absent from blogging and blog stalking for quite some time so I guess that explains it.

I was going to try this very project about a year ago...unwrapped all those dang crayons but never melted them. Maybe I'll actually get around to it.

Unknown said...

Funny! When I saw you did a project I thought "she is such a mom" and then two paragraphs later you said the same thing.

I always wanted to try that craft, but I don't want to take the wrappers off the crayons.

Unknown said...

Funny! When I saw you did a project I thought "she is such a mom" and then two paragraphs later you said the same thing.

I always wanted to try that craft, but I don't want to take the wrappers off the crayons.

Marissa said...

I've been wanting to do this too. Now I will have to try it.

Lisa/Scott said...

I'm pregnant...with facebooks baby!! LOLOL just kidding. I'm not pregnant. I'll keep in mind that melting crayons smells like shiz when I do get to being pregnant though.

natalie said...

Back when I was a creative, I did heart shaped ones for Emme's kindergarten valentines day party. They were such a hit! She still talks about them. We are such good mama's.

natalie said...

ps: Gah! You left facebook? Where have I been? I feel kinda empty inside...

Sarah said...

A) I know so many pregnant people right now. (SO MANY!) Hooray for you!
B) I want to track down a child whose crayons are broken so I can be crafty like you.
C) didn't you delete your facebook? I know because I look you up all the time and there you aren't.