Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Hurricane Ike


Most hurricanes are 100 miles wide. Ike was around 500.



This is the road we take to Surfside. Pictures of Surfside can be seen below where Beck is eating sand.




This was our beautiful downtown.






Although I didn't get a picture, a tree fell through the apartment next to us and several apartments had to be evacuated. They are currently rebuilding the ones that were damaged. Thankfully our apartment and cars were kept safe. We did however lose power and I thought I would go crazy waiting for it to come back. Now that it's come back after 9 days I've come to appreciate the little things in life. Warm water, a cold drink, a/c in 90 degree weather, being able to find your way to the bathroom in the middle of the night, etc etc etc. The clean up still continues here and everywhere else but having power back means that Beck can sleep in his crib again and not wake up crying because he's too hot. It means that we can eat something besides PB sandwiches. It means I can catch up on The Hills and Gossip Girl. It means I can soak in a warm tub and check my email 100 times a day. I love my electricity and I will never do something silly like abandon it to sleep in the woods for any extended period of time. Thank you to all my friends who worried about me and sent me notes, emails, and texts. Thank you to my family who prayed for my power to return. THANK YOU CENTER POINT ENERGY FOR RESTORING MY POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 comments:

Brian said...

Yay, so happy you're safe! And get caught up on Gossip Girl cause it done be GOOOOOD.

Carrie said...

Glad everything is good (kinda) again. We were thinking and praying for you.

Heidi said...

I'm so sorry you had to go through all that! I was thinking of you the whole time. I am so glad you and your cute little family are safe and ok. :)

Wendy said...

Good to hear you're okay. I'm sorry for all you've been through!

Lisa/Scott said...

HOLY CRAP! For some reason I didn't even consider that it was so close to where you lived...but a tree hitting the appartment next to you. Yikes! I'm glad you're ok my friend, I'm so sorry that my mommy brain spaces out and it didn't occur to me sooner. Sorry sorry sorry my friend, but I really truly am glad you're safe. The weird thing is that you popped in my head several times the last few weeks and I've been meaning to write you and see how you're doing.

Anonymous said...

WHEW!!! What an adventure. It sure gives one a new appreciation for those going through storms of life. I am so grateful you are safe and well. I am grateful you had family there to help. But even more grateful you are home.
Hugs, love and prayers.
Dad and Mom