Monday, February 25, 2008

Employment



I feel like I frequently tread between being stuck in a tremendous rut, and making sweeping dramatic changes without fully planning for the consequences.

Sometimes I will stick with a job out of obligation, knowing full well that I can do better if given the opportunity. It can be a delicate balance when you try to decide if you should sit still, or go for a change that may or may not be beneficial.

Just about one year ago Ramsey and I were living in Houston. We lived there for nearly two years, and despite our hectic schedules we were fairly happy. In November of 2006 I was preparing to graduate from school. The original plan was for me to find an automotive job (tech, troubleshooting, etc) and begin a career in that field. I love cars, and we figured it would be a decent fit.
During a series of interviews I was approached by my current employer. I was under the impression that I would be used in a technician/mechanic capacity, (I later found that there was at least some truth to this thought),but they wanted me for a position called "completion engineer".

This appeared to be a considerable growth opportunity that we had not foreseen, so we worked hard to pursue this job. (along with significant help from both sides of our families, Thanks guys)
I was offered the job in December 2006, and we moved to Hobbs New Mexico in January of 2007.



*I have been informed that the details of my job are not interesting, so you might want to skip the next few paragraphs. Even I probably would skip it if I didn't do it for a living.

Completions involve just about all of the details once casing is cemented in a well. Logging is one of the services that are offered. We can evaluate cement bond within the well, look for porosity and permeability, detect casing metal mass loss, communication between producing zones etc.
It also consists of using radioactive sources, High explosives, and lots of cement to complete mechanical services.

This picture is from a job that we did off of a crane. For the most part we work off of a "pulling unit"

This is a photo I took from inside of the logging truck while working off of a pulling unit.


Our tools were interesting to look at. This is a picture I took in Houston of a replica of an open hole tool that baker uses. If you look carefully you can see the Baker Hughes logo.

I have strong feelings about the last year that I spent doing this work. It has been very hard on me mentally, physically, emotionally, and it has been equally hard on Ramsey. There is alot more to the story but the long and the short of it is this morning I gave two weeks notice to Baker Atlas. Not that it really matters. There isn't a shop in Hobbs to work at anymore anyway.

I wish that I could properly explain why I did what I did, but I don't think I can adequately put in to words why things ended up this way. I can be a great employee, and I expect to be given the opportunity to be so. The way I described it to my boss this morning was that I felt like a square peg being stuffed into a round hole. There were deeper issues at hand that just a poor fit, but that isn't really why I am writing this.


I guess the reason I wanted to reflect back on this was to share how I feel about employment. If we are looking for profound fulfillment in our jobs we are probably barking up the wrong tree. That being said, I don't think you have to be miserable at your job. I have often finished a hard day and felt great seeing what had been accomplished. When that feeling of accomplishment is permanently replaced by a pit in your stomach, I think re-evaluation is in order.

We all have talents and abilities. You would never ask your barber to do your taxes, and you probably wouldn't ask a bus boy to align your car. I think that is the core of the difference between a job and a career. For a long time I thought the difference between the two was $$money$$ but I think that that has less of a role than I originally thought. I think that when you find employment that gives you a sense of satisfaction, something that will enable you to support your family, you have found a career.
For now, my search continues...

If nothing else, I will never view my stint as a wireline oilfield type guy as boring.



We are getting closer to something permanent. The highly transitional lifestyle we have led is starting to wear on both of us. We are very grateful for the prayers and help we get from our families. Thank you guys, Weavers and Merrills.
Don't ever put a time table on your happiness. If we can't be happy now, we probably can't be happy ever.


...and Guido, keep reaching for that rainbow. So long as you reach for it a long ways away from me. Stinkin' hippy.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Great post Ben, maybe you should get a career as a writer :) Good luck we will keep you in our prayers. Maybe you guys need to come back to Utah, we need more of Beck(After you have kids, it is only about them, never about you anymore).

Fun Fee Family said...

I agree with Carrie. You are a great writer, Ben. Good luck in the pursuit.

It never seems to amaze me that life always has its transitional periods.... No matter the age or the situation.

Our prayers are with you.

Anonymous said...

Amazing photos and great writing. You are so special to us.
You will bless wherever you are.......I do think Carrie has a point........we miss you and Beck. But we know you will go where you are lead.
Love,
Virg and Sara