From the front cover of "Into The Wild"...
"In April 1992 a young man from a well-to-do family hitchhiked to alaska and walked alone into the wilderness north of Mt. Mckinley. His name was Christopher Johnson McCandless. He had given $25,000 in savings to charity, abandoned his car and most of his possessions, burned all the cash in his wallet, and invented a new life for himself. Four months later his decomposed body was found by a moose hunter...."
Lately I haven't had a ton of time to read books. Usually my little bit of free time is spent goofing off on the interwebs, or playing video games. A few months ago we bought the Jon Krakauer book after seeing the movie, but I am just now getting to read it. It is without a doubt a very polarizing story. Why would you travel so poorly prepared? Why would you refuse help in preparing for such a trip? Why wouldn't you try other routes of escape? To me, these questions are in periphery to the main question: Why would you want to leave everything behind?
In the movie, it makes it seem as though his parents are the main cause of his need to reinvent/rediscover himself. In the book (at least as far as I have gotten) it seems like they were less of the cause. Ultimately, He is is disillusioned with society and our infrastructure, and fueled by ideologies that suggest eschewing "modern life" he heads Into the wild to find peace.
The success and fascination with his story suggests that he was one of many people that feel frustrated with the status quo. There are many many discussions about his trip and his reasoning. I won't pretend to have a better understanding that the other people that have weighed in on it, but I will add a couple of thoughts: If you have the opportunity, watch the movie or read the book. My same warning as always applies, it is rated R for nudity and language. They are not excessive, and they go along with the plot. I suggest watching/reading it because it is an opportunity to reflect on our own opportunities and blessings. It makes me want to treat others better. Behind the quiet face of the person you are interacting with, you may have no clue to the difficulties they might be facing.
The real tragedy of the situation is that he finally comes to the conclusion he was looking for but by the time he figures it out it's too late.


(these images were taken from codinghorror blog)
There is nothing in this world that will mean anything to you if you don't share it with those you love. Your car, your scrap book, your video games, your broadway, your music, your church, anything you can think of, will mean nothing to you if you can't share it.

Hopefully I (and all of us) can remember that. How sweet is that new downpipe if your wife/brothers/assorted loved ones aren't there to see the divorced waste gate provision? Its still pretty sweet, but less so.
____________________________________________________________________________________
Its been about two weeks since I finished the book. The book and the movie contrast each other in a very interesting way. I saw the movie first, and it paints a more romantic, more artistic picture of Mccandless' journey. The book touches more on the gravity of how his departure/death affected those around him. I can honestly say that I am glad I saw the movie first. It made it much easier to put myself in the situations described in the book. Fascinating story. Tragic consequences for his friends and family.
A huge part of the magic of the movie is the soundtrack. The music was mostly written by Eddie Vedder, of Pearl Jam. Pearl Jam came to fame during the Nirvana/Smashing Pumkins/Sound Garden rise of alternative rock. You would think that given my affinity for alternative rock that I would be a big Pearl Jam fan, but other than "Ten" I haven't ever really owned any Pearl Jam music. This sound track is beyond brilliant. I couldn't figure out why it was so good, but Ramsey summed it up perfectly. "It sounds like it's sung by a vagabond. He sounds like someone who really knows what its like to be a leather tramp".
Touching story. Profound reminder. Life is precious, and everything we do affects those we love and are surrounded by.


2 comments:
wow Ramsey, great review, I think I will go read that.
My parents told me a while ago to go watch this movie, and I forgot, but now I'll go see it.
Post a Comment