
In December of 2007, Baker atlas flew me from Houston to Dallas. As a recent graduate, it was a unique opportunity that I immediately jumped at.
When we were offered the job, Ramsey and I viewed it as an answer to a prayer. Even in retrospect we still view it that way. We are convinced that the 6 weeks of rest during my training is what allowed her hernia to heal and Beck to be born without any complications. Our ward was also amazing, and we both became more active than we have ever been post marriage.
Despite all of these positives, small town life just wasn't for us. I had signed a one year agreement with Baker, and I struggled frequently during that year trying to soldier through it. There were some challenges within the culture in Hobbs that I found difficult to adjust to.
I think that Ramsey and I would agree that we are grateful for our time there and the lessons learned, but we are also glad to be home.
With the year agreement completed in January, we were placed in a unique position. Do I use contacts obtained during the year to move to a new business within Hobbs? Or do we go for broke and try to get back to the city we love?
I would like to think that we were open with both possibilities, and explored them both as far as we could. In the end, Houston came through for us faster than Hobbs did.
4 major moves in 4 years has really started to wear us down. Bolivia, Slc parents houses, Slc our own apartment, Houston 1960, Hobbs land of encrapment, Houston Spring/woodlands. I sure hope this isn't indicative of how all of our years are going to be.
*I would like to interrupt my rant for a minute. Without family help every time, we would probably be living under a rock somewhere. We have had Merrills and Weavers at every stop lending us manual labor, money, time, towing our stuff, lending us vehicles etc. We are super grateful to all of you guys from the bottom of our hearts.
So over the course of Thursday and Friday of last week we packed up that roach motel.
Ramsey loves to pack with me. Loggins can attest to the fact that I wait until literally the last minute to get stuff packed. This time she got so desperate that she made Super Belk* vacuum the floor.
(super belk is what you get when you try to write "Super Beck" on your babys belly, only to have him squirm and ruin his improvised tattoo)
I wish that this picture would have turned out a little better. Rather than ordering the bare minimum truck this time, Ramsey ordered the biggest mamma jamma that u-haul has. 26 feet of driving pleasure.
The nice thing about this particular move was that we know Houston well enough that we were able to pick our area pretty well, without having to go in person. (we ended up making 4 trips from Hobbs to Houston since February, but that was a different issue altogether.) It was also nice to not have to tow the truck. Although, that was uhauls fault for not saving a trailer. In fact, up until now I had forgotten we left that thing. I probably should have it shipped here or something. Hmmmmm.
When we pulled back through conroe en route to our new place it felt wonderful. Just like being back home. Needless to say our new digs are a little different than what we left.
This is what sits in the middle of our courtyard at the new complex:
I would post what was in the courtyard at the old place, but I bet everyone can already guess.
Its good to be back. I don't think we will be leaving again any time soon.

Not even my brother's fascination with this guy could ruin my new groove.

GUIDO YOU CAN NOT HAVE THE MANGO.
Well, I suppose that all I have left to do is find a 50 gallon hat, and put some longhorns on the hood of the Impreza. I can handle that lots better than meth labs exploding next door.
1 comment:
Congrats on the upgrade! The new apartment looks nice. Scott and I have to move in January all the way to Philadelphia...I'm not looking forward to the drive across the entire country with a U-haul and 2 kids. We're hoping we'll enjoy our ward there more than our little pleasant grove Utah ward here...Ramsey remind me to tell you about the time I wanted to beat up my visiting teaching supervisor. lol. Anyway, I'm really happy for you guys.
Post a Comment